The Frauenkirche in Dresden (english: The Church of our Lady) is the townscape-defining protestant-lutheran baroque church next to the Dresden Neumarkt. It possesses the largest lithic church dome north of the Alps with an exterior diameter of 36.15m. Built 1726-1743 with a design by George Bähr, the church was heavily damaged during the bombings of February the 13th/14th 1945 raging firestorm. It finally burned out and collapsed on the morning of February the 15th. The ruin was left standing as a memorial against war and destruction for 49 years during the time of Eastern Germany. After the reunion 1994 the reconstruction began and was finally completed in 2005, supported by development associations and donators from all over the world. On October the 30th 2005 the first celebratory church service and ceremonial act was held in the Frauenkirche. During the 2017/18 season three events are held here by the Dresdner Philharmonie.

Built: 1726-43/ reconstruction 1994-2005

Architect: George Bähr

Construction costs: 288,570 Taler, 13 Groschen and 64.4 Pfennige

Interior height: 36.65m

Reverberation time: 3 sec (full)

Seats: 1600 (with galleries)

zum Sitzplan

  • Details

    Frauenkirche Dresden
    01067 Dresden

    Underground car parks »An der Frauenkirche« and »Frauenkirche Neumarkt«

    Bus & Tram
    Stop Altmarkt: Tram 1, 2, 4
    Stop Pirnaischer Platz: Tram 1, 2, 3, 4, 7, 12 | Bus 62, 75

    Taxi stand
    Kempinski (opposite to the hotel entrance)
    Hotel De Saxe (next to the main entrance)
    Hilton (at the Neumarkt, opposite to the Pulverturm)


    Doors open
    30 min before the beginning of the concert

    Wheelchair users
    Please ring bell at entrance A, lift, facilities for wheelchair users

  • Google Maps